Monday, June 10, 2019

The Best Laid Plans....

One of the great unsung joys of widowhood is what happens when you get sick. 

Nothing. 

There's no one to bring you toast and tea, no one to feel your keppie (foreheadto see if it's hot, no one to bring you a fresh box of tissues when you've used the last one. And no one to say, "Let's get some clothes on you, you're going to the ER."

Actually, no one goes to the ER anymore unless they're dying in the middle of the night.  Nowadays, we have UrgentCare, Doc-in-a-Box, Minute Clinic, or that thing in the grocery store where they'll give you a flu shot. Being I'm up-to-date on all my vaccines, including pneumonia, shingles, measles, mumps, rubella, smallpox, tetanus, and flu, I thought I was covered. Not so, Grasshopper. Whatever this was took me down like a lame horse going over a hedge. And for sure, Ziggy woulda made me put on sweats, loaded me into the front seat, and taken me to see a doc. 

Instead of Sunday morning sitting in shul for Shavuot followed by an afternoon on no-betting mah jong, I was examined by a lovely young doctor who pronounced me "really sick" with conjunctivitis and a sinus infection. That yielded two prescriptions, a solemn oath that my head would not detach from my neck from coughing, and an overwhelming sense of sadness that my 2nd Day Shavuot Adventure with Little Miss was about to be canceled. The conjunctivitis put paid to that. 


So, shoot me. I use tea-bags.
I'd planned a lovely morning with yizkor for me and junior services for her and her pre-school buddies, lunch at shul, all followed by a grand adventure to the Japanese Garden at Como Park, complete with bento box snacks and a new book called THE CRANE GIRL. Of course, there just might be a ride on Cafesjian's Carousel to cap the day. I love adventuring with her....and I was disappointed enough for both of us.

Drugs are great and by noon today (Monday) I'd turned a proverbial corner and could sit up. I even groped my way downstairs to make my own tea. And I slept. A lot. Be that as it may,  I don't have the wherewithal to write much. I'm amazed I've made it this far, and about here's where it's going to end. I have to cough some more.


The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
Don't get sick. 

2 comments:

  1. thinking of you ...get better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better by now. It is a sobering realization that getting sick when you live alone is not easy. The comforting thought of knowing someone is there to keep an eye on you is something we take for granted until we don't have that any longer. Sigh.

    And no apologies about using tea bags! We have come a long way since the Lipton tea bag days. I used to have my cousin ship me tea from England years ago, when Lipton was all that was available here. Now, we have lots of great teas to choose from, and all kinds of fancy tea bags too. So, curl up with a good book, drink a cup of tea, and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete