Monday, February 10, 2020

I Am Not Spartacus

My Constitution-lovin' heart was broken last week not because the Senate absolved Feckless Leader from any wrong-doing. Not because the Senate did not remove him from office. Not because they acquitted a man who admitted he did the things they say he did. Nope. None of those things broke my heart because I didn't expect the Senate to do anything different. They lived up to their reputation as chicken-shit cowards too afraid of their campaign pot'o'gold to even as ask question. And that was expected, too.

What broke my heart was the part when John Bolton was refused the opportunity to testify before that once-august body. I have no idea what he would've said, if the would've pleaded the fifth, or if he would've explained how the moon was made of green cheese. That he was not permitted to testify said nothing about him, but spoke volumes about the Senate. A trial has witnesses, just as they did in the House. While the Democrats were presenting their case with videos and statements, however flawed a presentation it was, it was evidence presented. The GOP did not defend Feckless, they just said, over and over, "this is not an impeachable offense."  He did it, but he's not guilty by reason of status. 

Really?

Once upon a time, I had hoped John Bolton would be the adult in the room, the one to bring some semblance of order to the chaotic West Wing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Bolton's greatest fan. He is the ultimate right-wing-regime-changing nutjob. He makes your run-of-the-mill hawks come off like hippy-dippy pacifists. This is the guy who claimed Cuba (yes, Cuba) had secret WMDs and both Iran and North Korea should be treated to "pre-emptive" strikes. So, yeah, I have some fundamental issues with him working in the White House. HOWEVER, stupid he isn't and he wanted to testify. We, the People were pretty vocal about wanting to hear him. Yet he was silenced.  Why did the White House stop him?

What is the White House afraid of? What is the GOP side of the Senate afraid of? If there was nothing inappropriate, why not have testimony to support that? How many golden shower tapes does the White House have on Senators?

Do I keep asking the same questions?

Well, I know one thing the White House is afraid of: Alexander Vindman. They are not only terrified of him, they are terrified of his twin brother, as well. 

There's a running gag on my family FaceBook page: every time I do something home-ownerish, I change my profile picture to Spartacus with the caption: I AM SPARTACUS.  This has been going on for as long as I've been on FB with the fam. 

This week, I change my profile picture to this:

I'm not Spartacus. 
THIS is the real Spartacus. 
He stood up, told the truth, and despite attempts to 
denigrate and humiliate this devoted-to-duty soldier, 
he will always be a hero to We, the People.

You don't get too many real-life heroes these days, people who stand up for what's right  while fully cognizant of the cost of that position. Lt. Col. Vindman knew exactly what he was doing when he testified in the House. He knew they would come after him. And in one of the most poignant moments ever experienced in the house, he assured his dad he would be okay because he told the truth:

I also recognize that my simple act of appearing here today, just like the courage of my colleagues who have also truthfully testified before this Committee, would not be tolerated in many places around the world. In Russia, my act of expressing my concerns to the chain of command in an official and private channel would have severe personal and professional repercussions and offering public testimony involving the President would surely cost me my life. I am grateful for my father's brave act of hope 40 years ago and for the privilege of being an American citizen and public servant, where I can live free of fear for mine and my family's safety. 
Dad, my sitting here today, in the US Capitol talking to our elected officials is proof that you made the right decision forty years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America in search of a better life for our family. Do not worry, I will be fine for telling the truth.
When historians talk about the moment the Constitution of the United States was in great peril of collapse from within the government, they will talk about Alexander Vindman's courage under oath.

Of course, they'll also talk about what a total doofus Gordon Sondland was, but they will also grudgingly admit he was also trying to do the right thing.

No one should be surprised by the head-rolling fiesta going on at the White House these days. I'm sure the Vindman twins weren't. But what should be troubling We, the People, is that Feckless Leader's behavior is now to be accepted as normal. And, as Stephanie Grisham explained, the president believes "people should pay" for the way he was treated.

I don't know about any of you, gentle readers, but I'm really tired of the toddler behavior. And I know toddler behavior when I see it; Young Sir will turn 2 at the end of the month. And he is perfectly age appropriate FOR A 2-YEAR OLD. He is not perfectly age appropriate to be President of the United States.

Speaking of appropriate behavior, did anyone happen to hear about the White Nationalist March on Washington this past weekend? The NYT wrote about it:
More than 100 members of the Patriot Front, dressed in khaki pants and caps, blue jackets and white face masks, shouted "Reclaim America!" and "Life, liberty, victory!" video of the march showed.


Patriot Front leader Thomas Rousseau told YV reporter Mike Valerio of WUSA: 
We organized the march to symbolically reclaim our nation’s capital from the Jews, Marxists, & anti-white enemies in government who want to see white Americans erased.
You cannot think things are going well when this stuff is growing in popularity, both here and in Europe. HOWEVER, they peacefully exercised their Constitutionally guaranteed  right of assembly. I may despise what they are and what they stand for, but they did nothing wrong. Wish I could say that about our president.


The Wifely Person's TIp o'the Week
Democracy is whatever you believe it is.
The only important aspect about a democracy is the vote.
If you don't vote, you get the government you deserve.
Just like we have. 

    Bonus Tip:
    May Kirk Douglas's memory forever be for a blessing. 
    He gave us Spartacus!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment