Monday, April 7, 2014

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

One of the more interesting (at least to me) aspects of being a widow is that you have no one to blame but yourself. I mean, you’re making decisions about stuff on your own and you get to own the outcomes. All by yourself.

So when the opportunity presented itself to submit DREAM DANCER to a local publisher, I grabbed it. I knew the publisher a little, I knew what was sold under her imprint, and I figured I had nothing to lose.

Except time.

It took her a full year to decide to publish the book. I signed the contract three days before my 60th birthday. I knew there would be work to do, because technology had changed since I wrote the book in the late 90s. Would I leave it where it was, or would I edit to include cell phones and Wi-Fi? I was anxious to begin and was looking forward to the process. I even announced it here.

And I was anxious to begin work.

Then I was still anxious to begin work.

And then I was worried because the work was not started.

My publisher decided to edit DREAM DANCER herself. And still the work was not started.

Publishing late 2013 became early 2014. Publishing in early 2014 became mid 2014. Mid 2014 became later in the year. No pub date was ever set, no edits, no move towards galleys. Each time I asked the question, I was assured all was well.

Well, all was apparently not well. To the best of my knowledge, work on DREAM DANCER was never started. After almost three years of waiting for something to happen, I think it's time to stop waiting.

Therefore, it’s with great sadness that I announce I have withdrawn DREAM DANCER from my publisher. It is an amicable parting of the ways, and for that I am glad. 

As for what happens now, I don’t know. It’s a good book….or so I’ve been told. It’s an action/adventure kinda romp. I thought I was writing lust in the dust, but it turned out to be something more than that. It was fun to write, and I hear it’s fun to read. I am open to suggestions as to what to do next. Honestly, I don’t have a clue.

Meanwhile, this blog goes on. And on. And on.


If you are a literary agent….or even play one on TV, let me know. I could sure use a good agent right about now.

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week 
Elphaba says: No good deed goes unpunished.
Remember that. It's not merely important....
It's true.


4 comments:

  1. I subscribe to a couple of writing blogs. Perhaps Kristen could point you in the right direction: http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/the-future-of-fiction-from-tiny-to-titanic-how-to-claim-your-niche/
    Or you could find a solution here:
    http://annerallen.blogspot.com/2014/04/10-ways-pre-published-writers-can-start.html
    Both authors have archives worth going through. I think your situation is exactly why lots of writers publish themselves and do e-books. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fair! i need to read a published book by you! Hoping this comes to fruition soon :)
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sad story and one I've heard before. Let's try to turn it into a good one. I would love to talk with you. I'm well aware of resources in the Cities and most of my clients are independent or small publishers. So I know this part of the business. Your book sounds like it should be out there.

    ReplyDelete