Monday, January 16, 2017

We, the People Are Not Nice...Nor Should We Be.

The blog entry I just wrote was so angry I will not post it. 

I am terrified about what comes after Friday. 

Blacks, Muslims, LGBTQ, and Jews are being targeted across the country. Hate mail, graffiti, rock-throwing, bullying, headstone-toppling...it's all out there and it's all happening.

Hate, it would seem, has become acceptable. I hear it from both sides. 

People I respect are posting hate-filled things on social media that disgust me. It diminishes my perception of them. Both sides. 

President-elect Trump's behavior requires serious consideration...from both sides of the aisle. There is nothing normal about his behavior in this transfer of power, and it should not be normalized. His tweets are a window into him...and it's a scary one at that. 

The people selected to serve in the cabinet have questionable qualifications. That's not opinion, that's fact. In no way is Ben Carson qualified to head HUD. Surgeon General? Sure, why not? The nominated AG, Senator Jeff Sessions, was denied a Federal bench because of his racist and homophobic statements. The nominee for Education, Betsy DeVos is a business person with no education experience or credentials. She is a hardline advocate against civil rights for LGBTQ citizens. 

Almost all the cabinet nominees also have ethics and/or conflict-of-interest issues facing them. 

The incoming staff of the West Wing has proposed removing the press pool from the White House. Any reporter or network that criticizes Mr Trump has been threatened with exclusion. 

The spine of national security and intelligence have been publicly belittled by the President-elect. Whether or not they deserved it, that kind of laundry is not aired in public except at the peril of these here United States. 

Donald Trump will be sworn into office on Friday. How long he remains there is, quite frankly, up to him. 

Some people think it's unpatriotic to question, comment, or criticize the incoming POTUS. I would disagree with that statement. POTUS works for ALL of us. It is our job as citizens to hold him to his promises and pledges, and to tell him when we think he is wrong. Republican or Democrat, the obligation is the same. The Constitution of the United States guarantees our right to speak up and speak out. If we abrogate that right, we are damned, one and all. 

Here's something to consider:
Nice people made the best Nazis.
Or so I have been told. My mother was born in Munich in 1934, and spent her childhood in Nazi Germany surrounded by nice people who refused to make waves. When things got ugly, the people my mother lived alongside chose not to focus on “politics,” instead busying themselves with happier things. They were lovely, kind people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away.                                                                        Naomi Shulman
I don't want to be a nice person. I will not turn away or post puppies on Face Book. 

If Donald Trump and his minions continue in the direction they are currently heading, they will have to go through me and We, the People, to get to the Constitution. 

We are We, the People, and we are not nice. 



Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
If you need a break from politics...read a book. 
Try this one....now out in paperback!

Dream Dancer by The WP 
How can you resist?



3 comments:

  1. Since we celebrated the life of Dr. King yesterday, your post reminds me of two of his quotes which I posted on my own blog yesterday:
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." and
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
    I thought Congressman John Lewis' address in Miami yesterday was especially powerful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mvsAFB4mA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Wifely Person. My blog post of yesterday was angry, but I put it out there anyway. If you have time to read my screed, you'll find it here:
    www.ozzienogg.com
    Here's to all the Not Nice People :)

    ReplyDelete