Monday, December 9, 2019

To Impeach or Not Impeach - Legislative Masturbation

When the kids were little, I made them do their "homework" whenever a significant purchase was on the horizon. This is because I, personally, overthink everything into oblivion and have been known to take up to a year to decide on a minor purchase like new dishes and up to four years for a new car. It's not that I'm wishy-washy, in fact, quite the opposite. I usually know exactly what I want and will patiently wait for it to be invented...or on sale. 

So, it was with some shock that the children heard the news I needed to begin thinking about replacing my 7 year old iMac now instead of waiting for a coming-soon-to-your-desk cataclysmic event. My intention, I told them, was to purchase one during this year's silly season when, I deduced there might be a reduction in price, that I could almost hear the gasps of slap-dash-homework-horror coming from their direction. But I persevered. I knew what I wanted, I knew what I needed, and in spite of well-intentioned pronouncements about what I should get, I kept to my original decision and started the great Mac hunt.

There were a few hiccups during the last few weeks as the Mac I wanted was on sale at Costco and I got shut out. followed by a momentary madness when I almost bought a lesser model, but my iron streak (and heckling by the Junior Son) won out and I waited. Then, as chance would have it, the iMac I wanted was actually not only on sale at Best Buy, but there was one in stock at my local store. In other words, I could do a quick grocery run and pick up an iMac on the same trip and be back home in under a hour. Works for me. (I'm a terrible shopper; no patience in stores. In and out, that's all I can stand having worked retail for over a decade in my last life.)

Side by side for the transition.
My desk never looked so clean!
Tonight, I am coming to you live and in person from my new iMac, looking much the same as my old iMac, but this one actually works the way a Mac should. Best part is that I plugged it in, it asked me who I was in Appleland, and whammo! I was back in business in less than 15 minutes. Of course, I then had to do some upgrades, move some files over, but pretty much it was a piece of cake. THAT is why I am a MacHead. I understand this format, this box, and my relationship to it, thank you very much.

In case you've never noticed, I am a process-oriented human being. When I direct, I give actors tons of background information to make an era whole. I believe in process. I believe in one-step-at-a-time, and making sure all the other steps aren't leaving a big hole either behind or ahead. I like preparedness and knowing I've got a handle on most, if not all, parameters. I don't like surprises.

Which is why I am not in favor of impeachment at this time. 
AT THIS TIME. 
AT THIS TIME.
This does not mean I think Feckless Leader should not be impeached. He should. But rushing this process is a fool's errand. It will die in the Senate unless something radical changes in the next month: it won't. And then that toddler-in-chief will be really elected this time and there is every reason to believe, based on what he has said out loud in the public arena, he will extend his presidency past 8 years. RGB will eventually die, he will get yet another SCOTUS seat, and We, the People, will be permanently and inextricably screwed. 

But it can and should be stopped.

This is gonna get lots of "huhs?" but I want to know why they are not allowing Hunter Biden to be called as a witless. If he's so innocent, what does he...or the DNC for that matter...have to lose? Why not let the guy talk? It would totally shut-up the GOP. To date, Hunter Biden has been accused of no crime, but readily admits taking a seat on the board of Burisma was not a great idea. It was not illegal in any way, but it had the appearance of a conflict of interest and that is enough to be problematic. 

Let's say you see the rabbi sitting in Arby's, a sandwich in his hand, at a table with another person. If one draws the conclusion the rabbi is eating non-kosher food, it's an understandable conclusion. The rabbi is in Arby's taking a bite out of the sandwich. But what if what you cannot see is that the sandwich is from his bag lunch and in the soda paper cup is only water. Is the rabbi guilty? Not of eating tref, but of marit ayin:
Suspicious-looking action; doing something that may cause an observer to think that one violated halachah [Jewish law] and thus arouse suspicion, or alternatively, doing something that could mislead somebody to interpret than an action is permitted and then violate halachah him/herself.
Appearances count, especially in this kangaroo court..and yeah, our Congressclowns do constitute a kangaroo court on both sides of the aisle. In Hunter Biden's case, testifying would be sane, yet, the Democrats are afraid to let him be heard which, by the way, makes me think he did something seriously wrong. Or so it would appear.

And speaking marit ayin, I don't hear anyone talking to Ivanka who should know exactly what the term means and why she's dancing on that particular pinhead. The woman is holding a variety of patents in China, including one on a voting machine. A voting machine? In China? Sure, the Ivanka brand was shuttered in 2018 (2 years after Feckless took office) but she still has the patents. Sure, fake leather wallets I could understand, but a voting machine? The point being that recognition and coattails are recognition and coattails.

But I digress. 

Waiting in the wings for Feckless Leader to be hauled off is Vice President Pence. This guy makes Feckless Leader look like a feminist activist. This is the guy who can't be alone with any woman except his wife because .....well, let's not go there. It's too grotesque to consider. Anyway, this is the guy who think Gilead is a good idea and we are all handmaids designed to accept penis offerings resulting only in babies. Screw the babies once they're born, but if you have a uterus, you should be worried about this guy's positions on women (pun intened.) If you think laws regarding women's reproductive health are becoming draconian now, wait until Pence is in the oval office. Or didn't you hear about SCOTUS not hearing the new Kentucky abortion law? You now have to listen to the play-by-play and watch the video of your own abortion while it's happening. Never mind the heartbreaking decision that goes into the termination of a pregnancy. SCOTUS declined to hear the case because it was a violation of the free speech of the doctor:
Although this case is abortion-related, the plaintiffs' challenge was that the law violated the free speech rights of the doctors, as opposed to the abortion rights of the patients," said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.     CNN: Supreme Court rejects challenge to Kentucky abortion ultrasound law
The ethics of the situation in regard to torturing the mother had no bearing on whether or not the case was heard. I understand the ruling in my head. I don't not understand it in my kishkas. Laws are created, challenged, and defended according to the Constitution. I get that. I understand the way the lawsuit was presented made it a free speech issue. I get that, too. What I can't understand, or ever understand with this administration, is when do the rights of the people count? In this case, the woman whose body is being acted upon has no right to decline the narration. 

And you wanna impeach Feckless Leader? Before you do that, you'd better have a path to taking down Pence with him. 

They can draw up the articles of impeachment 'til the cows come home. Unless they have figured out a way for the Senate to act in good faith...which they will not...this is legislative masturbation. 

And marit ayin. Even if they have the best of intentions, the Democratic congressclowns  appear to all to be sailing down a river of no return. The only thing they are gonna give us... unless they start acting with the few remaining sensible Republicans ... is at least 8 more years of Feckless Leader.  Is that what you really want?

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
Before any big decision, do your due diligence homework.
Make sure you fully understand what you are asking
and what you are getting. 

3 comments:

  1. Hillary Clinton did not shut up the GOP after hours of testimony about Benghazi. Why do you you think Hunter Biden will? btw was "witless" intended? just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if he doesn't testify it will _never_ go away and will be hauled out endlessly with a spectre of doubt over both Bidens. If the guy didn't do anything wrong, let them ask questions. He had nothing to hide.

      As for "witless," absolutely intentional. I've gotten more emails about that......

      Delete
  2. Hard to tell if this is satire which means, if the intention was satire, it misses the mark. Clearly not logical arguments especially the point about DJT extending his presidency past 8 years. Who takes anything he says seriously? Sounds more like random rantings rather than a well organized thesis. A solid editor might help.

    ReplyDelete