Monday, September 19, 2016

Gravitas, Folks

I took a day trip on Sunday to attend my future daughter-in-law's bridal shower. It was a good time. Seriously. 


I'll admit it; I love airports. I love flying. And I really loved going to Chicago and back in a single day. Yeah, yeah, I know. Lots of people hate airports and flying is sardine city. I get that. But there is something almost mystical about sitting down in one city and walking off the plane into another. It's magic. 





Maybe I would feel differently if I traveled a great deal, or had to travel for work. But I can tell you with absolute certainty, I love take-offs and landings. I am the antithesis of a nervous flyer. I want to be on the plane going somewhere. 



Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am sick to death of this campaign, its tone, its tenor, its hate. The first debate is next Monday night and I cannot wait. I want to see what happens when Trump faces Clinton. All I want her to do is present hard, cold, well-established, un-embellished facts. I want her to hand out copies of her tax return. I want her to hand out copies of her last blood panel and annual check-up. I want her to get on a scale to prove how much she weighs. I want her to take a blood pressure check on camera. I want her to be plain-spoken and dispassionate. I want her to be the total opposite of bloviation.

She is not the perfect candidate, and she has some reputation to live down. But the real bottom line here? She's not using bankruptcy as a crutch, and she pays her bills. She's human and so what if she's not cuddly; she's a world class diplomat and leader. She knows her stuff, she knows how to ask questions, and she knows the difference between leaders and tyrants. And she has actually met Putin...and negotiated across a table with him. As First Lady and then as Secretary of State, she's met most of the world's leaders. She knows the language of diplomacy.

I don't want anyone to call off the food police; I want federal regulations for the food supply chain. I want a government that is a system of laws tempered with checks and balances. And I really want someone in the White House that knows what Aleppo is. 

Folks, can we please get past the gladiator phase of this election and start paying attention to what it means to be the leader of the free world? 

Gravitas, people. It's all about gravitas. 

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
My dad used to say if you need a veracity check, ask yourself this:
Would you buy a used car from this man?





2 comments: