Monday, April 6, 2020

Widowness In The Time Of Isolation

Most not all of us .. but enough for the jokes to make sense.
This past Saturday evening, my paternal family Zoomed to Florida to celebrate Aunt Cynthia's 96th birthday. Almost everyone was there; it was amazing to have all those little boxes on the screen...and everyone talking at the same time....just like a normal Schwaidelson family gathering. Some of them saw Little Miss and Young Sir "live" for the first time. Some saw Mrs. Senior Son for the first time. And we met the newest groom in the family ...poor guy had never experienced a room full of us before. Four generations. Aunt Cynthia, my dad's younger sister and last remaining sibling,  pretty much sobbed her way through it...in the best sense of the emotion. I don't need to think...I know this would not have happened in normal times. This was because we are all quarantined away from each other and we all discovered Zoom. I think we all had a need to see each other. If nothing else, I got to laugh a lot with most of my family.  When it was over, I just sat at my desk and grinned for a long time.


The next morning, a well-meaning friend called to check in with me. Our shul has been proactive in reaching out to people who live alone, making sure that they're okay or if they need help. With this strange and surreal Passover almost upon us, this is a good thing to be doing. The conversation was going swimmingly along until she told me how lucky I was to be sheltering by myself, because she was getting ready to kill her husband and bury him in the backyard. All things considered, I know her husband and yeah, I could see her doing that. I doubt any jury would convict her....but that's neither here nor there.

But the remark bugged me and ultimately I told her that however annoying he is, it's someone in the house to talk to, play Scrabble with, to scratch the place that itches one cannot reach, argue with, eat dinner with, and maybe even hug once in a while. I suggested  that she not say stuff like that to other alone people she calls...because it will make many of us sad when we are fighting exactly that along with COVID-19.

It's not about choosing to be alone; it's about being totally alone in your heart. It's different. 

Yeah, as someone editing a new, rather long, complicated novel, this isolation is a perverse kind of writer's heaven. No one bugs me to do anything. I do go for walks, but it's on my schedule. I'm very productive, I've lost weight (not kidding) and my stress level is totally in the basement since I've reduced news-watching to the hour between 5 and 6 pm. I'm enjoying being retired even if I'm not lounging around doing nothing. 

But I'm also talking to the pictures on the walls and having long, in-depth conversations with my characters. The idea of isolation, self-imposed or state-mandated, changes  lots of things. Choices we  make to deal with the low moments are not available. People are  especially busy with their own mishugas. I find I'm digging deep into my happiness reserves to recall specific  happy moments. And I am not ashamed to confess I've actually started looking at the Facebook memories o'the'day page for a cheap smile.

I reached out to several of my widow friends to ask why this feels so different from our usual feeling of isolation/quarantine...you know...the one where people stop inviting us to stuff we used to go to because they might catch widowness from us? 

One widow put it rather succinctly: hugs. 

Social distancing with your spouse/partner/family under the same roof means you get to hug someone periodically. You get to touch someone. Even if you're arguing, there is in-person human interaction. 

STOP: IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER !
SELF-ISOLATION IS ALSO A BREEDING GROUND FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
 THERE ARE STILL WOMEN WHO NEED TO LEAVE. 
THIS IS NOT ABOUT THAT. 

Yes, there are other people who live alone. There are divorced people, and people who just don't want to live with someone else. Yes, there are all sorts of people who choose to be on their own. Everyone has a story, but this is not a pissing contest about whose isolation is greater. This is about world of widows.

When I started this blog almost 10 years ago, I meant it to be a frank exploration of widowhood. I had a couple of widow friends, but as the great Anita told me, "Nobody has an instruction book. You get to write your  own." She had  a great many other pearls to impart during those early days, and I am thankful for that. And I have tried to pay it forward, to say that same thing to others facing that new world. But...

...and there is always a but...

But when a spouse/partner shuffles off the mortal coil and leave us standing there, it's  a  different kind of loss. Loss of the left shoe while you are still wearing the right one. Loss of the guffaw to your bad joke. Loss of the silent communication transmitted in a hand hold. It's a permanent loss you weren't looking for, really didn't  want, and impossible to discuss with the person you need to hear most. Physical and psychic intimacy is severed. There is no repair possible. You are alone.

This quarantine/self-isolation takes that alone and blows it up like a balloon filling the  entire house. Every space is taken up with alone and there is no possible way to welcome a person into that space. It's not wise, it's not safe, and it may be illegal in some places. 


YOU ARE HERE.........................................................THEY ARE THERE.

Meanwhile, you look out the window and see couples walking dogs, mouths moving and although you cannot hear what they are are saying, and your heart longs to have that one person standing next to you looking out the window with you. Instead, there is a space beside you, and not even your imagination can quite fill it. 

And I know I'm not alone in feeling the absence more intently this year....because my widow friends are all saying pretty much the same thing. There is something about enforced isolation that makes many of us especially envious of those sheltering with others. Amongst my crowd, we have all commented on how we miss our life-partners' follies and foibles a whole lot more right now. In my own silence, missing Ziggy is downright heart-rending all over again. And we feel sad. 

Make no mistake about this: sad is NOT depressed. Far from it...at least for me, and most of my widow friends. We get to be sad because we miss our partners. We are entitled. We lived and loved these people and chose to be with them. We did not choose to be without them. And we get to pick our heads up to see the possibilities before us...mostly because we're not dead yet, and have no intention of being dead at the moment. Get my drift?

For those of you who were lucky enough to know Ziggy, you also know that it was on the first day of Passover that we got the diagnosis, and that he left the building a scant 8 weeks later. I cannot help but equate this new isolation with the one I experienced with my husband 11 years ago as he prepared to leave us. There are a number of similarities, a number of differences. But now, as some people count the days/weeks/months of self-quarantine, I begin my annual counting of the Omer...the last days of Ziggy's life. Yes, folks, this does add to my personal sense of isolation. But I know this, too, shall pass. 


The Wifely Person' Tip o'the Week
When venting one's spleen
consider the condition of the recipient of your rant.
Sometimes, it's easy to slice another's heart without knowing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the sharing of true parts of your life. While I still have some freedom of movement in my neighborhood (socially distanced), I live alone (long-divorced) and the 1-year absence of my dear departed canine companion of 16 years became intolerable. Yes, she was “just a dog,” but the her presence gave me the gift of the physical (and emotional) interaction of scratching, petting, hugging and going out together. I recently chose to look for a rescue dog and she found me a few weeks ago. A swirling, squirming, dancing, cuddling young dog, she has rescued me in my own isolation, bringing a need for structure and a way of “getting out of” my own head. Likewise, your blogs always give me thoughts beyond myself to consider—thoughts that raise me out of my black hole. Thank you and blessings as you remember your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete