Monday, October 25, 2021

The Never-Ending Adventures of the WP

beach feet
Going home for Aunt Cynthia's funeral was the right thing to do. I got to stand in the sand with waves at my feet. I got to sit on the jetty for a while, then stand on the boardwalk talking to my maternal cousins the whole time. I got to eat real Chinese food, and watch the 11 o'clock, not the 10 o'clock news which even after decades in the midwest still feels weird. 

The funeral was incredible, if only because my paternal family was gathered in front of our family plot to see the last space in the front row receive its precious cargo. My cousin Howard summed it up tidily when he said, very simply, "We're next."  

The traditional post-funeral meal of consolation was at Ben's, this time the one in Bay Terrace. Yes, there were copious amounts of pastrami involved. And half-sour pickles. And coleslaw. Lots and lots of coleslaw, all of which reminded me that my palate has never changed and never will.

Going home for about 34 hours was good medicine. I returned to flyover land refreshed, my soul re-invigorated amidst the trials of getting a book out the door. Heading to the airport, I was wiped out. 

I got to JFK way too early for my flight. I stopped at the Delta Club to try to beg my way in without a platinum Amex. It wasn't looking too good when a soft, low, melodious voice came from behind partition beside the gatekeeper said, "It's all right, she's my companion." Turns out, the voice had a companion slot on his ticket and he gave it to me.

Walking around to thank him, he stood....like really stood way taller than me, and looked like he stepped off the cover of one of those romance novels. I told him he was my hero. He demurred. I said, "That's it; you're in the next novel." He smiled. OMG. And said, "I'm game."

I shoulda given him my card. But if the truth be known, he thought he was helping some little old crazy lady. Oh, to be 25 again! 

Misha gig
And speaking of being young again, the Senior Son came into town for Little Miss's 7th birthday. Having the Senior Son around even for a little while was good medicine after the stress of last week. Without a doubt, Little Miss and Young Sir were thrilled to have their uncle wrapped about their little fingers. Senior Son 
stayed long enough to play a jam gig tonight with the incomparable Moses Oakland at the Midway Saloon in St. Paul. 

I hadn't seen him play since before the pandemic, so I talked my cutie neighbor, Soccer Guy, into taking me to the bar to surprise my kid. Boy, was he surprised! And he wasn't the only one. Soccer Guy surprised me with a couple of roses from the rose peddler at the end of the evening. Truth be known, I'm old enough to be his grandmother....but I had a really good time and I appreciated his humoring me. For the record, Surly Furious is really delicious. 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the book is launched. 

The new website is up and running:  S. J. Schwaidelson: The Author Is In

website banner

And a new Instagram page: sjschwaidelson

Please come visit the new pages. Follow. Like. Subscribe. These things are important to an author. Of course, buy the book. I'm told that you cannot put it down. 
Available in both Kindle and paperback:





The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week

IF you happen to be in theTwin Cities area, 
we're having a reading and book signing 
on November 9th,  7-8:30 p.m. 
at Beth Jacob Congregation, 
1179 Victoria Curve, Mendota Heights, MN. 

2 comments:

  1. Ordered my copy of Pomegranate on Amazon yesterday -- can't wait to read it. And btw tell you Cousin Howard to mind his own business... even if he is right.

    ReplyDelete