Monday, December 27, 2021

The Last Word for 2021: Dog Snuggles

Baby Bialy & Grandpa
Now that I'm retired and clearly have no life whatsoever, I have spent the best, most relaxing week puppy-sitting my grand-puppy Bialy. She was the world's cutest puppy 12 years ago, and liked nothing more than being in Great-Grandpa's arms. He, of course, always had cheese in his pocket which might  have accounted  for some of  the attraction. 

Despite her insistence she is still puppy-sized, she's really a 12-year old German Shorthaired Pointer who likes nothing better than waiting for Savta (that's me) to fall asleep so she can stealthily creep up and lay her 55-pound body flat-out on top of my back. And if I push her off, she just slides down and lays across my butt.

She's the most stimulating, exciting company imaginable and to prove it, here are some exciting scenes from My Week With Bialy.    



In truth, it's kinda nice. She's very snuggly and I miss dog snuggles....even when she decides  it's time to slide on top of me. I don't mind all that much. Nothin' says lovin' like slurping dog-tongue in one's ear at 3:20 a.m. 

The kiddos are someplace sunny and warm...but  no ocean which is just weird to me. Nope, they're in the desert which is a distinct improvement over the frigid temperatures here. I don't blame them one bit. Bialy and I will just hunker down to binge watch GET BACK on  Disney+.

On the upside, they don't do broadcast TV, so I'm streaming news on my computer. Which limits what I can watch and when. Honestly, I've been keeping up with SCOTUS and the local trial of Kim Potter, but that's about it. Amazingly enough, the jury convicted her on both manslaughter counts charged in the death of  Daunte Wright. Since the ridiculous acquittal of Officer Jeronimo Yanez in the shooting of Philando Castile, Minnesota courts have successfully prosecuted three other officers in unwarranted shooting deaths. One might want to believe this is a corner turned, that going forward, at least in Minnesota, there is accountability. Progress? Perhaps. One can do little more than hope. 

But the year is finally about to end. It's not been the best year, or even much better than 2020, and it certainly dashed more hopes than it raised. This COVID thing continues in new and unusual waves with no real end  in sight. There is an emergence of two classes of people in the world: those who are or want to be vaccinated, and those who refuse. Those who refuse will ultimately become the new untouchables in society. Those who are vaccinated will certainly feel their own hearts break as the unvaccinated are barred, rightfully so, from socializing with those who are. As I have often said, this is a matter of choice; those who choose not to be vaccinated are choosing ostracism. 

A mind made up is a mind made up. Until one is lying in hospital alone, gasping for  breath, unable to be comforted, that mind will stay made up. It is a choice one must respect. Not enable. Respect. There's  a difference. I am tired of writing about this. 

One last picture to share, one of my favorites. Shy, timid Peri avoided other dogs at all costs, but loved Baby Bialy. She put up with so much jumpy stuff from that puppy that we could not believe it was our Peri. But this picture, taken in 2010, demonstrates the power of cheese. Hold up a single slice, and the Ben Hur races around the kitchen island ceased immediately as butts slid across the floor. 

Baby Bialy and her Aunty Peri.
Cheese was involved.

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
As you bid 2021 a less-than-fond  farewell,
do not give up hope.
It doesn't cost a thing to believe the world will improve.

2 comments:

  1. I’m glad your life is so peaceful at the moment. You sound contented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Blog. We share the same generation and same fears.

    ReplyDelete