Monday, September 19, 2022

Deep In The Heart.....

I had a remarkable weekend. We all went to Austin, Texas for a simcha...a happy occasion: Emma and Jon got married. All things considered, simchas are few and far between these days. Emma's grandmother, my indomitable Aunty Gladknit, is over 90 and is the last of my aunts. Her very spry younger sister is also up there, so having them both present was a spectacular treat. It was not-so-surprisingly-important to me for my kids to have time with them, even if it was a bit of a whirlwind. There are no guarantees there will be more celebrations in the very near future, and that we could all be there was fantastic.

This was the second time I've gone to Texas. Right before the pandemic, I went to Dallas for a family friend's wedding...and that was a bucket-list kinda experience. In Guns, Guns, and More Guns I wrote about how finally standing on the grassy knoll and walking around the Texas Schoolbook Depository were overwhelming experiences. What happened in Dallas in 1963 changed everything about this country. Once, I decided, was enough. Texas has some issues that make me not want to spend money there. However...and isn't there always a however....

Austin is not Dallas. It's a laidback university town with lots of interesting places to see and some amazing places to eat. I probably could've done more sightseeing, but there was this salt-water pool at the hotel and it was in the high 90s. I confess, I languidly parked my butt on a chaise, book in hand, soaking up some rays, and generally wishing I had had the smarts to bring a bathing suit. What was I thinking????

The one thing I really wanted to see was the bat bridge. Yeah, you heard that right. There's a bridge on Congress right next to the hotel beneath which live hundreds, maybe thousands, of bats. At dusk, they are supposed to swarm right out. We got there early enough to secure a good place, and yes, it got pretty crowded. Patiently, the tourists swarmed, waiting for the big bat show. Whether it was the season or the uncommonly hot weather, few bats swooped, much less swarmed. I was crushed. I loved our bats when we lived next to the pond and our friends fliers lived under the deck. Best mosquito control ever. But there were not enough bats in Austin to put on a show. I was so disappointed. The sunset, however, was epic. 

The other thing I saw is still a bit of a mystery to me. It's like a giant sail...and in fact, it's referred to as the sailboat building. Apparently, it's going to be Google's new headquarters...or something like that. Whatever, it's a striking building, and seeing it in person is, quite frankly, breathtaking for its audacity. Even in daylight, it's fascinating to look at. I guess sometime next spring Google is moving in. 

Meanwhile, back at the Pecan Ranch, we gathered for a wedding. My baby cousin Emma has always been a delight. Kind, funny, loving, and a teacher. Humans don't get much better than that. Grandma Don't...known to Emma's as Great-Grandma Bessie, would've gone gaga for this kid. She has a sense of wonderment and passion that makes her a fine inheritor of Grandma's story-telling skills. 

I met Jon for the first time and it was obvious why they are together. They fit. 

In theory, it was a Jewish wedding. Both kids are Jewish, but it was before sundown on Saturday, ergo no rabbi. The friend who officiated clearly is close with both of them and the ceremony was unique and lovely. Of course, there were Sheva Brachot (7 Blessings for marriage) as well as a beautiful Ketubah (marriage contract.) The bride was beautiful in an amazing gown, and the all-smiles groom was handsome and charming. 

Bride, groom and sloth

There was also a petting zoo with donkeys and a sloth. I kid you not. It was unusual and it was fun. Junior Son and Mrs. Junior Son immediately sent pictures back to the kiddos in Minnesota. Of course, knowing Emma's penchant for manatees, I was surprised she didn't arrange for a tank. Lots of mileage on that expectation.  When Emma is involved, there's always a bit of a twist at the end, so this suited them perfectly. 

The levity woven into this wedding made it delightful. And unusual.  And unexpected...especially the dog poem. That really got to me. I think it's worth sharing. 


How Falling in Love is like Owning a Dog

                  by Taylor Mali 


         First of all, it’s a big responsibility,

especially in a city like New York.

So think long and hard before deciding on love.

On the other hand, love gives you a sense of security:

when you’re walking down the street late at night

and you have a leash on love

ain’t no one going to mess with you.

Because crooks and muggers think love is unpredictable.

Who knows what love could do in its own defense?

 

On cold winter nights, love is warm.

It lies between you and lives and breathes

and makes funny noises.

Love wakes you up all hours of the night with its needs.

It needs to be fed so it will grow and stay healthy.

 

Love doesn’t like being left alone for long.

But come home and love is always happy to see you.

It may break a few things accidentally in its passion for life,

but you can never be mad at love for long.

 

Is love good all the time? No! No!

Love can be bad. Bad, love, bad! Very bad love.

Love makes messes.

Love leaves you little surprises here and there.

Love needs lots of cleaning up after.

Sometimes you just want to get love fixed.

Sometimes you want to roll up a piece of newspaper

and swat love on the nose,

not so much to cause pain,

just to let love know Don’t you ever do that again!

 

Sometimes love just wants to go out for a nice long walk.

Because love loves exercise. It will run you around the block

and leave you panting, breathless. Pull you in different directions

at once, or wind itself around and around you

until you’re all wound up and you cannot move.

 

But love makes you meet people wherever you go.

People who have nothing in common but love

stop and talk to each other on the street.

 

Throw things away and love will bring them back,

again, and again, and again.

But most of all, love needs love, lots of it.

And in return, love loves you and never stops.


****

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world....


I got home Sunday night, so yes, I did get up to watch Queen Elizabeth's funeral this morning. A fine juxtaposition of one life beginning as another one ends. I appreciated the Prince and Princess of Wales...aka William and Kate...allowing the children to attend the service for their great-grandmother both at Westminster Abbey and again at St. George's Chapel. Once upon a time, that would not have been permitted, but these kids have access to electronic media. To deny them participation would have been cruel. The other thing that struck me was that it is impossible to know what William and Harry are thinking, just as one never knew what the queen was really thinking. As the mother of boys, I've seen the good, the bad, and even a bit of the ugly. It's all human nature. And it's all sibling stuff. If you've got one, you know what I mean. 


I wish Diana was around to dope-slap those two back into sensible behavior. 


The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week

Never mix vodka and cranberry juice with gin and tequila fruity cocktails.

Just trust me on this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment