Monday, July 31, 2023

Things That Should Be Driving You Crazy

[Yes, that's real JFK
button above it. ]
Long, long ago, in a lifetime far, far away, Ziggy and I were watching the Democratic National Convention on TV. The year was 2004 and some senate candidate from Illinois was talking about how he grew up and why we should all vote for Kerry. Neither of us was overly thrilled with Kerry as the candidate, but we were riveted by the guy from Illinois. When his speech ended, Ziggy turned to me and said, "That guy is gonna be the first Black president of the United States." 
Four years later, at the 2008 Minnesota State Fair, Ziggy did something I'd never seen him do before: he bought us a pair of presidential campaign buttons. My button is still on my bulletin board where it's been since the day after he won the election. In retrospect, I am glad Ziggy got to see Barack Obama's inaugural. He missed his friend Al finally confirmed as our Senator by almost exactly a month.

But here's the thing. I remember how truly impressed Ziggy was with Obama. I'd never seen him so engaged in the election process until 2008. He was like a kid in the candy store in Jordan. Between the speeches, the rallies, and the op ed stuff in the paper, he monitored everything that was happening. 

So, in honor of my birthday earlier in the month, I bought myself a little present because I think Ziggy woulda bought it for me. Well, there were a couple of reasons for it, mostly because it was a good excuse to make a donation. A political donation. For Congressman (not congressclown) Jeff Jackson of North Carolina.

I think Ziggy woulda liked this guy; His explanations of the machinations on the Hill are terrific. From all appearances and from what I've researched, this guy may actually be the real deal. Go watch some of his videos and you'll see what I mean. He's served in the military, he's an attorney, he's pretty much a centrist, and most of all, he's talking to his constituents in a respectfully blunt manner. He is totally telegenic, young, and good-looking to boot. In other words, he is electable. Watch for Jeff Jackson of North Carolina. I think he will be the candidate to beat in 2028...unless they grab him now. Which I hope they don't. 

When my grandkids are old enough to understand, I want to tell them Saba predicted Barak Obama would be president 4 years before he ran, and that Savta did the same for Jeff Jackson. 

Oh, and not to worry, I'm still supporting my local Congresswoman Angie Craig and the rest of the local candidates. I just wanted to support this guy, too. 

Meanwhile, back at the library.....

If you don't want your kids reading a certain book, tell them you don't want them taking it out from the library. Tell them they can't buy it or read it at their friend's house. Indoctrinate them at the dinner table to buy into whatever you're selling and discourage them from thinking...independently or otherwise. 

My mother banned three books when I was in junior high: CANDY by Terry Southern, PEYTON PLACE by Grace Metalious, and LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER by D.H. Lawrence. Trust me when I tell you I read all three before 8th grade started. Nothing gets kids to read like banning a book. Man, that screams mind control faster than the opening to THE OUTER LIMITS. Seriously, folks, we who have raised kids know about reverse psychology. Our parents may not have invented it, but they perfected it on a grand scale. 

What all these righteous individuals are doing is ensuring that their kids are gonna go right to the hard stuff as soon as they're out the door. Chastity until marriage? Know what the states with the highest out-of-wedlock birthrate are?  These are the top ten states with the highest out-of wedlock birthrate in 2021:

Please to be noting that the highest rates for these "anti-family situations" will be found in red states, the ones shoving their version of family values down the throats of the local populations.

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions here, but if you want dead moms, single moms, and lots of divorces, keep preventing your kids from learning about the real world. Stop them from reading about how other people live, love, and take care of their communities. 

What your kids will learn from banning books is the same thing Eve learned from the banned Etz ha'Dahat...the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil...that forbidden fruit just might be very, very tasty. But not without side effects. Keep them from learning about the sweetness of life and love so they can be so terrified of "the other" that they shoot to kill. Keep feeding them the putrid pablum you're dishing out now, but prepare yourselves for the price you're gonna pay. Ever hear of Cain and Abel?

Frankly, these book banning, body controlling ignoramuses are really too stupid to live in a country founded by thinking men. Yes, men. There were no female signers, which was unfortunate, but true. The Founding Fathers, I suspect, were more than heavily influenced by their wives, daughters, and other partners; I would bet they would all be horrified by what the Stepford people are doing to their precious democracy. I imagine Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, Hamilton, and even Burr would be spinning so fast that they're puking up their guts. None of them would understand how there came to be a long-game preparation for the discrediting of the Constitution and the establishment of a dictatorship. 

But here's the thing: We, the People, just might elect our own demise. It's sure beginning to look that way. I bet there will be a sale on red robes and white bonnets at Wal-Mart.

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week

Ziggy used to say, "You can't fix stupid." 
So don't be stupid and get your plan B in place.
Better to breathe a sigh of relief with your passport in hand
than to be caught without it should the worst come to pass. 
Right now, I'm going 50/50 on the odds.

NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST WP SPEAKS THAT WILL APPEAR ON 
THE PLATFORM FORMERLY KNOWN AS TWITTER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment