Monday, May 20, 2019

A Little Adventuring ~ Good For The Soul

Went to Boston last week. I was motivated to get my act together because there was a wedding I was not gonna miss come hell or high water, and this, in turn, gave me a great excuse to visit a friend from my misspent college days. Not that I needed an excuse; I just needed to make the trip happen and I did.

Ever laugh for 4 days straight? We did. Sure, there were some moments of serious conversation, but mostly we laughed. This is a good thing. About a year ago, Wendy was in the process of moving into her lovingly restored brownstone in Back Bay when a fire took it all out, lock, stock, and four floors full. A year and a whole lotta fortitude later, she is almost fully back in the house. The toilets work, but the fridge doesn't have a front panel quite yet. The rest of the kitchen is to die for, with counters tall enough for my very tall friend, and the rooms that are done are gorgeous. There's lots of work still going on, but I gotta tell you, I felt like a princess in the guest room. And that bathroom! The shower was heaven.

More importantly, I think Wendy is one of the strongest women I have ever had the good fortune to know. She has had a lot of challenges over the years. I won't recite the list, but let's just say she's still upright and sucking air when lesser folk would've folded. Not my friend Wendy. I admire her strength, her courage, her perseverance. And I love that when I'm around Wendy, we laugh. I mean, why the hell not? We're both upright and sucking air, and no adventure is too big. What's the point if you cannot go adventuring with someone who laughs as much as you do? 

We sailed on a whale-watching boat from Gloucester. The weather was glorious, there were more seals, both grey and harbor, than the naturalists had ever seen. It was a veritable seal traffic jam. And whales! Lots of Minke whales and a few humpbacks. And the humpbacks were pretty close in. This was the only breach I caught, but it was pretty impressive in person. Those little dark dots are actually harbor seals. It was so cool. If you ever get the chance to do this, do this.

From Gloucester we went to one of my favorite places on the planet: Rockport, where  I bought my first piece of original art when I was 12 or 13. Usually, it's on the wall of the study, but at the moment, it's awaiting a new frame. We talked to all sorts of seriously interesting people in Rockport, and bought two prints for the kiddos and one for me from a terrific artist named Bruce Johnson. The print I chose for myself is called CONGRESS. Look closely.  I love it. 
 © B.Johnson, LTD 2014.

And of course, the cannoli in Boston are really, really good.

While we were carousing all over Boston, we were not unaware of what was happening in the rest of the country. Although I saw no television while I was with Wendy, it did not stop us from hearing about the laws being passed in legislatures around the country. As two women who were around for the victory of Roe v. Wade, we are unquestionably concerned about what this war against reproductive rights will mean for not just the women who come after us, but for America. What can you possible say when

. . .the punishment for having an abortion is greater than the punishment for rape.

. . .forcing a 12-year old to bear a child is not just legal, it's the law.

. . .when proponents of this heartbeat rule refuse to protect the heartbeats of our schoolchildren against guns.
Consider this: No woman seeks to have an unwanted pregnancy. Men are responsible for unwanted pregnancies, yet, somehow, these legislators do not see them as the absolute cause. No; the vagina is responsible, not the penis that impregnates the womb. That has got to be the stupidest thing on the planet.

Funny thing, the weekend part of this trip was for the wedding, an event where two people commit to each other, and maybe eventually start a family with a wanted pregnancy. The bride is an incredibly talented singer. And while we celebrated with them, at every event I heard or participated in discussion about the future of this country for women, for Jews, for minorities of all types. Amongst the women, it was clear that we felt these draconian laws are hundreds of steps backwards from where we are now. We wondered aloud about the kind of world our granddaughters will find if they stay here. I heard a lot of people talking about "Plan B" in a way that is moving from ha-ha-it-can't-happen-here to what/when-do-you-think-is-the-point-of-no-return

Ken and Ariel
beneath their chuppah
But I digress....as usual. Just take a moment to listen to the bride. You Are The Light is a song of love and hope. To be at so joyous a wedding was a delight. I was thrilled to be there, to be a part of their day. I've known Ariel since the day she was born. Ziggy adored her to bits, and she is the one who, with the Senior Son on the guitar, sang BLACKBIRD at his funeral at his express request (and with the rabbi's okay.) 

I want the world to be right for this new couple, and for all our young families. None of us want them scattered across the world as our grandparents were once scattered. I don't want any of them to have to think about a plan B. I want them all to be safe and secure and unafraid. Yes; I know that's a tall order. I'm just not completely ready to give up on it quite yet. 


The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week.
If you are ever in Boston, take a breather at the Mary Baker Eddy Library's Mapparium.
Excessively way cool



3 comments:

  1. You lead such a full life and you embrace all the experiences that come your way. You are an inspiration. Thank you, too, for being such an intelligent, deep-thinking human being and for educating your readers on such a variety of topics.You are such a great writer!! Thank you for this wonderful blog...I look forward to it every week. All best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely article full of fun (and threats of Roe v. Wade horrors).
    I remember Ariel's sister wanting to name her after 'The Little Mermaid.' Mazel Tov to all :)

    ReplyDelete