Monday, August 12, 2019

What I've Learned So Far On My Summer Vacation

Well, I was thinking I'd take up the pen again tonight, but maybe not. I wanted to write (so I thought) about Red Flag Laws, but the deeper I dug, the less I wanted to write about them. The states that already have them in place show a decline in gun suicides but not much in other forms of gun violence. The Washington Post ran a good analysis of what Red Flag laws can and cannot do: The gun-control legislation Washington might actually consider: Red-flag laws.

Something to keep in mind from the article:
One reason Republicans like this proposal is because it doesn’t create a federal law restricting gun access. It creates grants to help states set up these laws, and each state can adjust the restrictions to what it believes is best. Congress hasn’t passed a law limiting people’s access to guns in more than two decades, since it created a national federal background check system in 1993.
To be blunt, I have absolutely no expectation that Congress is gonna pass anything now or ever. Red Flag laws are little more than Red Herrings.  They probably do, however, appeal to Moscow Mitch and The Great White Dope. They are, after all, Red. 

Honestly, it's depressing. 


One thing I did notice is that none of the news outlets are letting the lies pass without calling them out as lies. It's pretty clear his nose is growing at an alarming rate and at least the news media is noticing. Whether it's the number of jobs he has created or the number of migrants attempting to enter the US, it's all lies. There's not a lick of truth in anything he says or tweets. 

But that's okay with his base. Well, that says a lot about his base. 

What does it say about the rest of us?

©2017-Steven G. Artley - Artley Toons Online


The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
Wake up and smell the covefefe.
If you can't smell it, you need your nose fixed. 

1 comment:

  1. Disappointed in this week's blog... I was hoping you would expound on how the Clinton's murdered Epstein -- figured if anyone had the scoop, it was you. :)

    ReplyDelete