Monday, September 4, 2023

That Time Of Year Again: Minnesota State Fair


Yes, I went to State Fair this past week. First one since the pandemic hit. I thoroughly enjoyed my three favorite State Fair things: roasted corn, seed art, and watching Aunt M march toward onion rings. I cannot handle fried food, so I must live vicariously watching Aunt M eat. And tasting. I did get to taste the onion rings (best ever every year) and a Tom Thumb Donut. But the seed art was brilliant as usual....and it wasn't fried.

This is something that may or may not be unique to the Minnesota State Fair, but I will tell you there is always a line to walk by the wall with seed art in the Agriculture Building. Mona Lisa At The Minnesota State Fair took home the honors. Not my favorite this year, but definitely a fine work of seed art.

Ziggy introduced me to the Roasted Corn Stand the first year he took me to State Fair, back in 1975. It was our ritual; we went every year. One day was for just us, no kids. We got there right when the gates opened at the crack of dawn, ate breakfast at the Hamlin Dining Hall, had roast corn for lunch, followed by malteds at the dairy building. Stopping at Peters Wieners in the Food Building to visit his high school friend, Lu Ann Peters. These days, compelled by tradition, I always stop to see if she's there. This year, she was. For a moment, I could almost sense Ziggy's grin as Lu Ann caught me up 
on all their old friends. I loved it.

On a less nostalgic note, turns out this Labor Day marks a milestone event for The Wifely Person Speaks: the blog has been viewed a half million times. That means over 500,000 clicks on my weekly nonsense have been recorded and duly noted. Yes, I know all about bounce rates. But the WP is strictly a blog, no adverts, no questionnaires, no request for interactions; just me and my opinion. Of course, some weeks are better than others. Do I want to "monetize" the blog? No. That's not why I do this. I do it, as the Senior Son would say, for "shits and giggles."

While this may all sound very exciting on the surface, the one person I wanna share it with isn't around to celebrate...or poke holes at my thinking.That snarky guy from ZJOD who told me, "Sign up for this new Blogger thing. Who knows? Maybe one day you'll use it," would probably think it's all kinda funny. I tend to agree with him....but I would probably call it surreal.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a new roof, I really like the new fridge, and as I type this, thermometer reads 97°F, I've watered the bleepin' hibiscus 4 times already this afternoon, and I cannot go out on the mirpeset without something on my feet. So I'm gonna go downstairs, pop open a bottle of Spotted Cow, and find a cool corner in which to read. Even with a new a/c unit, I'm on Energy Saver, so it's just okay in the house. Tomorrow, the high is predicted to be a chilly 92°F. I can't wait to open the windows again. 

The Wifely Person's Tip o' the Week
What can I say? 
I'm a South Shore girl pining not for the fjords, 
but for my home beach.
Gotta  beach of your own?
Go catch a wave

3 comments:

  1. I'm a beach person, too and I think the Duluth beach did it for me.It's not the ocean, but I discoverd that "Lake Superior" is actually an inland sea because of it's size and depth.The other lakes are just lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have the blog back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know I was gone. Where did I go? I hope it was someplace exciting?

      Delete