Monday, January 29, 2024

Presto! Change-o #2! It's a Hybrid RAV 4

Not MN 62, 
but you get the idea
Several weeks ago, I was minding my own business as I drove over to the kiddos to kiddo-sit while the Mr. and Mrs. Junior Son went out for the evening. Now, if you know the Twin Cities, you might happen to know that on MN 62, (aka the Crosstown) as you crest the hill by Cedar Avenue, the traffic almost always stops for no apparent reason. Since it was after dark, that long line of red, not moving tail lights was a dead giveaway and frankly, there was ample opportunity to stop on perfectly dry pavement. Assuming, of course, you're paying attention. I was. The car ahead of me wasn't paying quite as much attention and swerved onto the shoulder. I stopped, but left him room to straighten himself out. The BMW behind me was also paying attention, and he was slowing to a stop with ample room behind me. The jackass behind him, however, in the big-ass pick-up truck was not paying attention and slammed into BMW-guy who, in turn, was far enough away from me to just tap my rear bumper. 

I pulled off the road and went to see if I sustained any real damage that would keep me from getting to the kids. BMW-guy got outta his car and came running toward me yelling, "Are you okay? Are you okay?" I was fine until I realized BMW-guy running toward me was in one very elegant overcoat and a suit. OMG! A groom hit me! was all I could think because this guy was tailored and no one dresses like that in Minnesota except guys going to their own weddings. He was absolutely adorable and I, not being a cougar type, only wanted to feed him matzah ball chicken soup to make sure he was okay.

"I've never been in an accident!" he cried, panic in his eyes. "What do I do?" 

"Not to worry," I reassured him. "I'll call the cops. We hafta do that." We walked over to big-ass truck guy who was freaking out. For good reason. There were truck parts strewn all over the Crosstown. He clearly wasn't paying attention. We got him calmed down, took out licenses and insurance cards to the BMW and thank goodness for cell-phones, we all photographed our stuff. I called 911, got a variety of instructions, and told the guys to return to their cars, get in, and put their seatbelts on. I called the Junior Son and he was able to find me on the highway traffic cam. 

Once State Trooper Ostertag appeared on the scene like a Viking materializing out of the mists, I was given the okay to leave with a promise that I'd have the accident report later that night. 

Turns out, I didn't get love-tapped by any ol' guy in a suit. I got tapped by a major sports star whose name I had just heard on the news before I left the house because he had scored the winning goal in a shoot-out. I could not believe I did not recognize the name when I saw it on his license, much less his face....which I have shaded out here, along with his number. Let's just say he was darling. He was clearly shaken after seeing the mess of Silverado all over the road and the back end of his BMW. And he was still worried about the little old lady in the little old silver Rogue. 

As it turned out, the Rogue actually needed some repair. Not much, but the rear bumper was cracked. The guys who took over at the body shop (Superior if you're in Eagan...highly recommend) were terrific. As I was picking up the car, Eric, my restoration advocate, pointed out some emerging issues and gently suggested it might be time to begin thinking about a new car. 

Looks okay for 12 yrs old, eh?
See Presto! Change-o! It's a Rogue
Actually, I had already started the process. I really loved my Rogue and thought about just getting another one. The kids wanted me to get a Subaru, but I really wanted a hybrid. It was time to cut my footprint, so I began doing homework back in the summer. I drove the kids' Subarus with some regularity, but they weren't as nimble as I'm used to. There is a hybrid something coming in the 2025 model year according to reports, but getting information about it was almost impossible despite calls to two dealers. Rogue is no longer offering a hybrid so as much as I loved my car, it wasn't gonna happen. 

I had three big requirements for a new car: heated, leather super-adjustable seats, a sun/moonroof, and mud flaps. These may sound random to you, but every time I "built" a car online, those were three things I looked for in the accessories packages. I shopped the car types, went over every possible contender, did my homework and narrowed the field down to 2 hybrids: the RAV 4 and the Honda CR-V. 

My first test drive, the Honda CR-V, was surprisingly good. It handled well and was very responsive on the freeway, but I wasn't crazy about the control screen and the driver's seat. I sit up straight. as high as possible, and pretty far back; I couldn't find a comfortable spot.  The sales guy, however, was very nice, unlike the one from 12 years ago when I went to look at cars at that same dealership. 

My other stop was Luther Toyota all the way across town, owned by the same group as my Nissan dealership... as good a reason as any to make the trip. Twelve years of using a Luther shop for routine maintenance was enough of a recommendation. Again, it's the lone woman thing and I wanted a place where the management stood behind their cars and treated all customers as equals, something I rather liked about walking into the Nissan dealership.  Plus, I was going to see Scott Smith who I've known for years. We have talked about the RAV4 for years. I wanted to hear what he had to say, then drive a car with him. Even if I hadn't known Scott, he made the process easy and I would work with him again in a heartbeat. 

It didn't hurt that a RAV4 in the configuration I wanted (but not the color) happened to have just arrived and wasn't sold. Until that minute. But I will tell you what actually sold me on the car: the driver's seat.  

I love it. I'm still finessing the final position but one of the cool features is that I can set the positions, and if someone else drives, I can get my seat adjusted back to where I want it with a push of a single button. This is seriously handy when other people like to recline the seat so far back so that when I get in, I fall over like a turtle. For some odd reason, they view this as a spectator event and think it's very funny. 

There are so many bells and whistles on this thing that I make it a point every morning after minyan to take a moment to learn something new. You need a master's degree in engineering to figure out some of this stuff. I will eventually psych it all out and I'll find my radio stations. Yeah, I still listen to the radio.

Side note: Apple-head that I am, I've never talked much to Siri before, but she's kinda part of the deal. We have come to an understanding. When I say, "Hey, Siri?" she just answers, "Hmmm?" 

I can live with that.  

So I said Shehecheyanu, the prayer for firsts, the first time I sat in the car and prepared to drive. Then I stopped off at the Junior house just as Little Miss was getting off the school bus, so we said Shehecheyanu together. Then I leaned over and whispered, with any luck, this is your first car. The look on her face was priceless. 

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
Only you can figure out when it's time to let go of shit,
when to let it slide off your plate.
Stop thinking there might have been something 
you could've done to fix it. 
To kiss it and make it all better. 
Chances are nothing would've helped 
and it wasn't your job in the first place. 

1 comment: