Monday, February 5, 2024

The Long Game

I am not yet in a place where I can write about the news, political, domestic, or international without my head in explode mode. Which, loosely translated, means I have little to say about anything tonight that won't come out like a whiny screed. And that's the last thing I wanna do. So instead, I'm gonna make a few observations, toss 'em into the ring, and see if I ultimately hit the mark farther down the road.
 
Nikki Haley is one smart cookie and I hope she doesn't drop out of the race. Yeah, I know you're all thinking she's a waste of time and money, but I don't think so. I think she's playing the long game on this one and she's betting on Feckless getting convicted in at least one trial and getting jail time along with it. As a felon, he may not be able to vote in Florida, but apparently there is no prohibition against his serving from a cell if elected. 

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment states: 
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

So it's possible. Haley, I suspect, will go after him on sedition if he's convicted and will align herself as an MOR GOP kinda candidate. Not that it would get her elected. IF We, the People see fit to elect a convicted seditionist, the fight is functionally over.  As is the Constitution. 

For the moment, Nikki Haley appears to be the only sane person in the room, and that's not sayin' much.

At the same time, do I think Taylor Swift is a Pentagon asset? That her romance with Travis Kelce is a sinister plot to influence the election? What is so scary about two people in the early days of a relationship? I mean, really folks. Why can't two high profile people date without absurd speculation? Why is she so scary? Because they are an attractive couple? What magical powers radiate from her friendship bracelets? 
All these fear-mongers do is telegraph their own lack of penis size. What? Her vagina is gonna bite them? They wish. Even failed GOP candidate Vivek Ramaswamy posted something that sounds like it's out of a bad novel:
And I wonder if there’s a major presidential endorsement coming from an artificially culturally propped-up couple [wink wink] this fall. Just some wild speculation over here, let’s see how it ages over the next 8 months.
Ja, sure, you betcha! What is this guy smoking....that makes him think anyone believes this shit?

Oh, wait. We already know they believe Feckless is some kind of messiah figure. 

But maybe Taylor should be?

Look, I am no Swiftie, or a Taylor Swift devotee, or even like her music very much. I don't have a single Taylor Swift song on any playlist. Ed Sheeren? Yup. Imagine Dragons? Fer sure. Stevie Nicks? Absolutely. But that does not keep me from being in total awe of this woman who took on Scooter Braun and the music cabal. I've listened to a boatload of interviews and chat show appearances trying to figure out what makes her so appealing and why I think all girls should grow up emulating her fierce determination to be captain of her own ship. Take the time to listen to her acceptance speech for Billboard's Woman of the Decade speech in 2020. She's really something: smart, erudite, blunt, direct, prescient,  and brooks no shit. 

         


She lays it all on the line and she is spot on. Swift says stuff ALL women artists, whether we're musicians, painters, sculptors, photographers, or writers have and are experiencing. For this speech alone, she should be on a stamp. I know it's long, but if you're not a female artist, or living with a female artist, or the parent of a female artist, you might not fully realize the gender inequity we all face now and will continue to face in a future that will probably be dominated by AI. 

Here's the real conspiracy theory: if these pencil dicks manage to win or usurp this election, count on the suspension of the Constitution of These Here United States. Count on the immediate implementation of martial law to "keep the peace."

And kiss democracy, however imperfect, goodbye.

I've said it a billion times: you elect the government you deserve. 

Yeah, I know I'm being whiny et al, but folks, it's just too hard to keep quiet.

The Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
I wish we had a candidate as compelling as Ms. Swift.
I am not suggesting she run for POTUS, 
only that we should find someone 
cut from similar cloth. 
Preferably a woman.
Lord knows men have been screwing this country long enough.


2 comments:

  1. I have never heard a Swiftie song. Kelly tells me she is a good Democrat and encourages the young people to get out and vote.I know nothing about her. I'm still listening to Jimmy Buffet and Alan Jackson. Didn't watch the Grammys and don't care about who Swiftie is doing it with. I don't know why I am tired of seeing her in the new. i just wonder why a person who writes about her love life continues to get "Album of the Year".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine Dragons? Hmm that explains the Chiefs thing.

    ReplyDelete